There are a few benefits to choosing an innerspring mattress over other types. They tend to be the most widely available mattress type and are, therefore, often more affordable than others. In addition, you won’t sink into a bed made with coils, so they tend to sleep cooler than all-foam mattresses and have a bouncy design that makes it easy to move around.
Hybrid mattresses are becoming a popular choice as far as innerspring beds go. Hybrids have springs but also use other quality materials, such as foam or latex, in their design. This takes care of the complaints that once came with older coil mattresses, like motion disturbance and noise. Most of the options in this article are hybrid beds.
If all of this sounds good to you, your next step is picking the right innerspring mattress. In this article, we’ll cover five of the best choices available today.
QUICK LINKS: 5 Top Best Innerspring Mattresses
- Best For Combination Sleepers: The WinkBeds Luxury Firm Mattress
- Best For Couples: The Saatva Luxury Firm Hybrid Mattress
- Best For Hot Sleepers: The Brooklyn Aurora Medium Hybrid
- Best Option For Stomach Sleepers: The Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress
- Best For Back Pain Sufferers: The DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress
#1 Best for Combination Sleepers- The WinkBeds Luxury Firm Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Targeted back support
- Delivery service available
- Soft, comfortable cover
- Three firmness options
- Pocketed coils isolate motion
If you’re the type of sleeper who moves around a lot in the night or just likes to use more than one sleeping position, the WinkBeds Luxury Firm mattress should be a good fit for you. Its bounce and support combine to make it very easy to switch positions.
You Might Want To Pick The WinkBeds Luxury Firm Mattress If:
- You suffer from back pain: The WinkBeds Luxury Firm mattress comes with their own 3-Step Back Relief System™. This special design, which aligns the joints and spine to ease muscle pain with targeted support, could be just what you need to wake up pain-free.
- You sleep on your side: We mentioned that this mattress is good for combination sleepers, but even if you sleep solely on your side, you should find it agreeable. Side sleepers have most of their body weight concentrated in the hips and shoulders and the foam layers in this bed offer good support for these areas.
- You sleep hot at night: If you need a bed that keeps you cool at night, you’ll appreciate that the WinkBeds Luxury Firm mattress has two separate coil units that work to keep air flowing through it. And, for people who need something extra cooling, there’s an optional coolControl™ base.
- You appreciate natural or plant-based products: The cover on this bed is made with Tencel, a fiber that comes from the eucalyptus plant. Tencel has natural moisture-wicking and cooling properties, which contribute to a comfortable sleeping experience.
If you need help installing your mattress, the WinkBeds Luxury Firm mattress comes with White Glove Delivery, upon request. This means the company will deliver and install your new mattress and even take away your old one for an extra fee. Let’s look a bit closer at the materials used in this mattress.
Under the Tencel cover is a medium-firm Euro-pillow top that keeps your shoulders, hips, and back supported and aligned. Next, there’s a layer of Micro Air-Springs™ that contributes to airflow throughout the bed for a comfortable, cool temperature. This is followed by a 5-zone system of wrapped coils that provides firm, targeted support.
The WinkBeds Luxury Firm Mattress is a 6.5/10 in terms of firmness, meaning it’s suitable for many different sleeping styles. The company also offers both a firmer and softer option. When you lie on this bed, your body will feel gently cradled with slight contouring but not much sinkage.
This bed uses the company’s patented SleepCalm™ motion isolation technology, so you and your partner can move without disturbing each other. This technology includes independently flexing coils and a layer of foam to minimize disturbances from the springs.
The foams in the WinkBeds Luxury Firm mattress were tested and found to be safe from harmful levels of heavy metals or dangerous chemicals. The mattress comes with a lifetime warranty and you can try it out for 120 nights before deciding whether to keep it. After this, you can choose to get a full refund if you aren’t satisfied with it.
The WinkBeds Luxury Firm is used in luxury hotels across the U.S., which says a lot about its quality and suitability for a wide range of people. If you want targeted support and also need motion isolation, it could be worth considering for your next mattress purchase.
#2 Best for Couples- The Saatva Luxury Firm Hybrid Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Durable stitching
- Enhanced lumbar support
- Good airflow
- Hypoallergenic cover
- Recycled steel springs
The Saatva Luxury Firm mattress is a durable bed with strong materials and stitching. It has a medium-firm level of support, which is geared towards every sleeping position. This, along with the pocketed coils which lessen motion disturbance, make this bed a good choice for couples.
You Might Want To Pick The Saatva Luxury Firm Hybrid Mattress If:
- You want different firmness options: Although this review focuses on the Luxury Firm model of the Saatva mattress, the company also offers a Plush Soft and a Firm version. Having a few options makes it likelier that you’ll select the perfect fit for you.
- You want an adjustable base: If you like to have the option to elevate your head or feet while you’re in bed, you might want an adjustable base. Saatva offers the Lineal™ Adjustable Base for an additional cost, which works with all of their 11.5-inch mattresses.
- You need targeted lumbar support: Although the Saatva Luxury Firm mattress is an innerspring model, it does use some memory foam in its construction. At the center of the mattress is a special lumbar region made of soft, cradling foam for targeted support.
- You carry some extra weight: The dual layers of coils in the Saatva Luxury Firm bed make it supportive for heavier individuals. However, if you’re carrying a lot of extra weight, you may want to opt for the firmer option.
The plush cover of the Saatva mattress is non-removable and made with hypoallergenic organic cotton. Tighter quilting in the center of the cover makes it more supportive in the lumbar region. Under the cover is a Euro-style pillow top with a 1.25-inch foam layer stitched into it for pressure relief.
Next is the special lumbar region made with memory foam, which feels noticeably distinct from the rest of the bed. Under this is a layer of individually wrapped coils for support and then a transition layer made from foam.
The bottom layer is made up of 416 coils to prevent sagging and help with airflow for a comfortable sleeping temperature. The Saatva Luxury Firm bed is a 6/10 firmness level and the pillow top has a soft feel with slight sinkage. Under this, you’ll feel the firmer, cradling support of the coils below.
Since it is an innerspring mattress, the Saatva bed doesn’t do as well as memory foam with motion isolation. However, the wrapped coils do help lessen disturbances, meaning it performs better than other coil mattresses that don’t have this technology.
The mattress is CertiPUR-US® certified and adheres to strict environmental and safety guidelines. The bed also uses recycled steel for its coils.
If you choose the Saatva Luxury Firm mattress, you’ll get a 120-night sleep trial period and a 15-year warranty. All in all, this bed provides a classic innerspring feel with plenty of airflow and a bouncy surface. If you sleep with a partner and also value lumbar support, this could be the right choice for you.
#3 Best for Hot Sleepers- The Brooklyn Aurora Medium Hybrid
Why We Like It:
- Works for many sleeping positions
- Offers cradling support
- Cool and comfortable cover
- Durable materials prevent sagging
- Uses cooling foam
The Brooklyn Aurora hybrid bed has the best of both worlds in terms of cradling foam and bouncy springs. The mattress uses special cooling features, like proprietary, copper-infused foam. And, you will sleep more on top of this mattress than in it, which also helps it feel nice and cool.
You Might Want To Pick The Brooklyn Aurora Medium Hybrid Mattress If:
- You sleep on your side: This mattress works well for side sleepers because it utilizes supportive coils for spinal alignment. Side sleepers benefit from a soft sleeping surface because their weight is concentrated on a smaller surface area while they sleep. This bed provides both the necessary support and cradling effect for this position.
- You move around in your sleep: Like other innerspring mattresses, the Brooklyn Aurora hybrid has a bouncy surface. This feature makes it much easier to switch positions without struggle.
- You have pets: If you have a dog or cat that likes to jump into the bed in the middle of the night, this could be a good innerspring option for you. The Brooklyn Aurora medium mattress has wrapped coils that absorb motion, so you won’t feel the disturbances.
- You have a latex allergy: If you like the feel of latex in your mattress, but are allergic to the substance, the Brooklyn Aurora bed might suit you well. It uses a material called TitanFlex™ instead of latex for additional bounce.
This mattress should work well for hot sleepers because it uses a cooling, antimicrobial infusion called TitanCool™, in the surface, to regulate temperature. Under this is a layer of Energex™ foam, a quick-responding material infused with copper gel for cooling.
Next is the TitanFlex™ layer for contouring, then a layer of memory foam that serves as a transition layer. Under that is a layer of coils for support and stability, followed by a durable foam foundation.
The Brooklyn Aurora medium mattress is right in the middle with regards to firmness. It has a very responsive, bouncy, and supportive surface without much sinkage.
Since the coils in the bed are wrapped and the hybrid bed also utilizes memory foam in its construction, this mattress does quite well with motion isolation. It’s CertiPUR-US® certified and free from harmful levels of mercury, lead, and hazardous chemicals.
The Brooklyn Aurora hybrid has a 10-year warranty and 120-night sleep trial period. If you are dissatisfied, you can return the bed for a full refund. This luxurious mattress comes with handles for easy installation and works well for heavier people, due to its durable construction.
#4 Best Option for Stomach Sleepers- The Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress
Last update on 2018-11-30 at 08:35 - More InfoProduct prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product." / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Why We Like It:
- Strong, supportive edges
- Comes with two firmness options
- White Glove Delivery available
- Breathable, cool cover
- Long sleep trial period
The Tomorrow Hybrid mattress is a medium-firm innerspring bed with cooling features. It works well for stomach sleepers because it aligns the spine and keeps the pelvis supported. Since improper support can lead to lower back pain for stomach sleepers, this is important to look for if you favor this sleeping position.
You Might Want To Pick The Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress If:
- You need cooling technology in your bed: If you tend to wake up sweaty in the night, the Tomorrow Hybrid could be a good pick for you. It uses a proprietary Phase Change Material to cool you down when you begin to heat up in your sleep.
- You want a bit of memory foam in your mattress: This mattress is a hybrid, meaning it uses both springs and foam. If you could use a bit of extra cradling for pressure relief, but also want an innerspring mattress, this could be a good compromise.
- You want a removable cover: A lot of mattresses come with non-removable covers, which can make washing them a bit more involved. If you prefer a removable cover that you can take off any time you want, you’ll appreciate the polyester-nylon cover on the Tomorrow Hybrid.
- You’d like two firmness levels to choose from: This bed comes in two firmness options, Medium Firm and Medium Soft. The softer option might be better for you if you sleep on your side, while the Medium Firm should accommodate the widest variety of people.
The cover of the Tomorrow Hybrid bed is thin, breathable, and soft. The top layer of the mattress is made from memory foam, which gives a slight feeling of sinkage and cradling pressure relief. Under that layer is more foam for additional pressure relief, followed by a foam transition layer.
Next, is a bed of steel coils that give the mattress its shape and provide airflow and bouncy support. Since the Tomorrow Hybrid uses memory foam, it cradles the body but you won’t sink in too deeply, due to the coils.
If you sleep next to a partner or have pets, there should be minimal disturbance while you sleep, due to the memory foam used in this bed. The Tomorrow Hybrid mattress also has a pocketed-coils design, which further prevents motion disturbances.
This mattress is CertiPUR-US® certified and free from harmful levels of hazardous emissions. It comes with a 10-year warranty and an unusually long sleep trial period: a whole year.
If you’re on the fence about whether you prefer springs or memory foam, this is a good middle ground. Although the Tomorrow Hybrid mattress does have a bouncy surface, the foam used in its construction will hug your body for pressure relief.
#5 Best for Back Pain Sufferers- The DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Lifetime warranty
- Long sleep trial period
- Gel-infused foam for cooling
- Luxurious cashmere cover
- Supportive enough for heavy sleepers
The DreamCloud mattress has a luxurious design with eight layers of both foam and coils. We chose it as our pick for people with back pain because it offers firm support, yet has a soft cradling feeling at the same time. These qualities combine to provide good lumbar support which could help soothe your back pain.
You Might Want To Pick The DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress If:
- You want a long warranty: Many mattress companies offer 10 or 15-year warranties, which is fine. But if you’d rather have an even longer one, you’ll like that DreamCloud gives their customers a lifetime warranty with their mattress purchase.
- You’re a combination sleeper: The DreamCloud mattress has a medium amount of bounce and a quick-responding surface. If you tend to move around a lot in your sleep, or you’re a combination sleeper, this bed will be easy to switch positions on, without hassle.
- You’re on the heavy side: This mattress is in the medium-firm range and the coils give it a stable, supportive feel. If you carry some extra weight, this bed should be more than strong enough to provide you with the stability you need.
- You and your partner favor different sleeping positions: Everyone has their own favorite sleeping position. If you share a bed with your partner and you both have different default positions, the versatile firmness level of the DreamCloud bed should fit you both.
Innerspring beds offer more airflow than beds made of other materials, so the DreamCloud mattress provides a cool sleeping experience. The cashmere cover is soft and plush, followed by a gel-infused foam that reduces heat to keep you comfortable.
Next, there’s a natural latex layer for bouncy support and then a dense layer of memory foam for stability and comfort. Under that is another memory foam layer for spinal support, a pocketed coil layer, and lastly, a high-density foam foundation.
All of the foam layers in the DreamCloud mattress make it great for pressure relief, but the coils and dense foundation give it a bouncy, firm feel overall. Due to the foam layers and pocketed coils, this bed does well with reducing motion disturbances.
The DreamCloud mattress is tested and found to be free from harmful levels of hazardous materials, such as heavy metals or ozone depleters. If you buy it, you get a full 365 nights to try it out and a lifetime warranty.
Overall, this mattress was made with a lot of thought and the end result is a luxurious product. If you’re a heavier person or just prefer a firmer sleeping surface with plenty of back support, the DreamCloud mattress could be right up your alley.
What to Consider When Shopping for an Innerspring Mattress:
Innerspring mattresses tend to provide better airflow than memory foam, but don’t absorb motion as well. The bouncy, responsive surfaces provided by coils make innerspring beds great for easy repositioning. What else should you consider when looking to buy one?
Lower off-gassing potential: With some types of mattresses, such as all-foam beds, off-gassing can be an issue. This is when the mattress comes out of the box with a slight chemical smell that can take a couple days to go away. One of the benefits of choosing an innerspring design is that this is less of an issue.
Edge support: If edge support is an important factor for you, innersprings tend to provide more of this stability than some other types of mattresses. Coils are less likely to flatten over time, which helps the mattress maintain its shape.
Repositioning: Although memory foam is undeniably comfortable, not everyone likes feeling like they are sinking into their bed. If you prefer sleeping on top of your mattress and being able to reposition yourself easily, an innerspring bed is a good choice.
Motion disturbance: One thing to note is that innerspring beds aren’t the best at isolating motion. Although many modern mattresses use pocketed coils and foam transition layers to combat this, it’s worth keeping this in mind if you’re a light sleeper with a partner or pet.
Overall, we think the DreamCloud mattress is the best innerspring option available right now. The eight different layers of materials are positioned in a way that combats the downfalls of innerspring mattresses (like noise and motion) while still providing firm support. This is especially important if you’re a bit overweight or deal with back pain. Thanks for reading and good luck with your innerspring mattress selection.