The Casper mattress is a medium-firm mattress designed to provide support to all sleeping types. It performs especially well for back and stomach sleepers and is great for individuals with back pain.
We didn’t like that Casper isn’t well designed for larger sleepers and has poor edge support, but overall we are still pretty impressed with its performance. Let’s take a look at the Casper in more detail.
The Casper Mattress
The Casper is one of the original online retailers of mattresses and has massively influenced the mattress industry.
Founded in 2014, Casper uses a combination of different kinds of memory foams to resolve sleeping problems by conforming to your body, delivering support to your back, hips, and shoulders, and maintaining an overall comfort level that helps you sleep through the night.
The Casper mattress comes in one model. It is designed as a comfortable yet supportive bed. With a neutral, medium firmness to provide a soft comfort layer and firm support for the back, hips, and shoulders.
A combination of responsible poly foam and traditional memory foam create a mattress that contours to the pressure points of your body while retaining cool temperatures.
Pros & Cons of the Casper Bed
What we liked
- Great for value seekers - this mattress is available for a fraction of the cost of retail memory foam beds.
- Excellent customer service with a free 100-day trial, free shipping and returns, and no restocking fees.
- An excellent choice for sleepers who are looking for average firmness with plenty of comfort layers.
- Sleeps cool - the poly-foam top layer prevents trapped heat retention helping you sleep cooler.
What we didn't lik
- Only one model available, so there are no options for more or less firmness.
- Can be rotated but can’t be flipped, which could be problematic especially if there is a weight difference between sleeping partners.
- Company is relatively new to the market, so little owner experience on longevity, lifespan, and warranty claims.
- Inadequate edge support, with sinkage as much as 5-inches.
You Might Want to Pick Casper If
- You Don’t Want Traditional Memory Foam: The top foam layer creates extra bounce, is quick conforming to your body, and doesn’t trap heat like traditional memory foam so you wont sleep hot.
- You Want to Try Before you Buy: The mattress is shipped free of charge and comes with a 100-day sleep trial. It can be returned at any time during that sleep trial for no fees and 100% money back guarantee.
- You Want an Affordable Mattress: Casper was one of the first online retailers of memory foam mattresses and forged the way for affordable, retailer-direct mattresses.
- You Are Looking For Firmness with Comfort: Casper mattress is designed to support your body while providing the comfort required to sleep uninterrupted through the night.
Casper testimonial video by David Ortiz
What to Look for in a Mattress
- Firmness & Support: A good mattress should be designed to hold your spinal column in proper alignment as you sleep, whether you are a back, side, or stomach sleeper. Improper support can cause you to wake up with aches and pains, but mattresses that are too firm can cause excess pressure on hips and shoulders.
- Material & Construction: Memory foam beds are great for comfortable support, but they are well known for retaining heat. The materials used for a memory foam bed will affect your ability to sleep through the night, between heat retention, comfort, and support.
- Durability: A good mattress should last 10 years, so you want to look for materials that are known for durability and companies that have stood the test of time.
- Thickness: In general, thicker mattresses are softer and more comfortable than thinner mattresses. With advanced technology, mattress producers are making 10-inch mattresses that are just as soft as their thicker counterparts. Pay attention to the thickness of the top comfort layers in addition to the overall thickness of the mattress.
- Temperature: If you are not sleeping cool, chances are good that you will experience interrupted sleep. Memory foam mattresses are notorious for retaining heat as you sleep, but many mattress retailers are using poly-foams or latex foams as the top layer, helping to prevent some of the heat buildup.
- Customer Service: In today’s Information age, it’s easy to learn everything you need to know about a company’s service. How they handle your initial purchase will be a great indicator of how they will handle any future warranty claims. Check out online reviews from reputable sources, such as the Better Business Bureau, to see how people are reacting to customer service.
- Warranty: Most mattresses come with a 10-year warranty, but it’s important to read the fine print before you jump into bed with a mattress company. Many companies have stipulations that can void the warranty, such as foundation or cover requirements, and you definitely want to know what those are before making a purchase.
- Eco-Friendliness: Mattresses made with synthetic foams, and chemicals can cause health problems for some, as well as problems for those who are sensitive to smells. Look for mattresses that have low Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) emissions or those made with organic materials to cut the amount of fumes that can be omitted.
The Casper Memory Foam Bed
Overall, the Casper mattress comes in at a great price, is well rated for customer service, and has an 80% customer satisfaction rating. Other mattresses on the market, available at similar pricing, offer better comfort, feel, and support.
Firmness & Support
If you’re looking for a mattress that provides back support but isn’t overly firm, Casper mattress would be a great fit.
The firmness of the Casper mattress is currently rated a 6 out of 10, where 1 is a pillow and 10 is a concrete floor.
Casper used to be rated as a very firm mattress, but in 2016 they changed the design of their mattress to make it softer, more on the “medium” side.
Most people rate Casper as having the right amount of firmness, not too soft and not hard as a brick, although about 10% of sleepers report an extended break-in period and 15-20% of users found the mattress to be uncomfortable overall.
While most sleepers find that Casper bed provides sufficient support for all sleeping positions, most sleepers report inadequate edge support of up to 5-inches of sinkage when sitting on the edge.
Couples report that the mattress succeeds at even weight distribution, allowing your body to sink in 1-2 inches but distributing that weight evenly across your body, keeping the weight from disturbing your partner.
Average Sized (130-230 lbs.) and Small Sleepers (Under 130 lbs)
Average sized and small sleepers find Casper to be comfortable in all sleeping positions, with very little difference between back, side, and stomach sleepers reported.
Large Sleepers (230+ lbs.)
Larger sleepers report this mattress is comfortable when sleeping on their back, however not comfortable in other sleeping positions.
While Casper claims that they are well suited for all sleepers, evidence shows they are not the best choice for heavier sleepers. The top two layers are only 3-inches thick, making them easy to sink through for sleepers over 230 pounds.
When this happens, heavy sleepers will engaging the transitional and support layers more than necessary, and creating uncomfortable sleeping conditions when pressure points are encountered.
Materials & Construction
Casper bed is an all-foam mattress that is currently composed of four
design of the Casper bed has changed three times over the past couple years. While no changes have been made to the thickness of the mattress, there have been changes to the type of foams used.
Most notably, the upper layer of latex foam was changed to responsive poly foam in 2017. The support foam base, which used to be one large layer, has now been split to include a poly foam transitional layer.
The cover is a simple, white fabric zipper cover made from polyester and polypropylene. It is thin and stretchy, designed to be porous for cooling and breathability and thin to allow sleepers to feel the foam more directly.
The cover doesn’t add any extra comfort or support to the mattressis worth noting that the cover is not machine washable, and washing the cover will void the warranty.
The top 3-inches of the mattress are designed to be the comfort layers. The top 1.5-inches are made from responsive poly foam. The poly foam is soft and bouncy and creates a buffer from traditional memory foam to aid in sleeping cool.
This layer also molds and contours to your body, creating compression around the body when pressure is applied for a hug-like sinkage effect to create a pressure-point free sleeping experience.
The next 1.5-inches are made from memory foam, providing support and responsive pressure relief for sleepers. The memory foam is responsible for the core support and pressure relief of the mattress. This layer is strategically designed as the second layer instead of the top layer to prevent heat retention issues.
Casper used to have one large layer which was later split into two layers, a transitional and support layer, to improve support and durability of the mattress.
The transitional layer is made of 1.5-inches of 2.5 lb/ft density poly foam. This layer is designed for support, comfort, and weight distribution.
The support layer is made from 5-inches of 1.8 lb/ft density support poly foam. This layer is the base for durability and support of the upper layers. The combined densities of these two layers is higher than Casper’s main competition, indicating that softening and loss of support would be less likely to occur with this mattress.
While Casper is a relatively new company, only in business since 2014, the long term durability of their mattresses is yet to be seen. The combined density of the base foam layers indicates that this mattress is built to last at least 6.5-years.
Size and Weight
The Casper is quite heavy, with a Queen weighing 83 pounds and a King 103 lbs. It comes in a variety of sizes, including Twin XL and CAL King, and is sized in standard sizing for the memory foam market.
39” x 75” x 10”
39” x 80” x 10”
54” x 75” x 10”
60” x 80 x 10”
76” x 80” x 10”
72” x 84” x 10”
Casper bed is 10-inches thick, making it approximately 1.5-inches thinner than its major competitors. While overall thickness does affect mattress comfort layers, the top comfort foam layers are the best indicators of a mattress’ ability to provide soft comfort.
With the top two layers creating a combined 3-inches of comfort layer, Casper foam bed is on the low end of comfort foam thickness.
The combination of responsive poly-foam and memory foam work together to create a mattress that has all of the benefits of memory foam without the troublesome heat buildup issues.
Memory foam has a reputation for trapping heat, causing sleepers to wake up in the middle of the night. The poly-foam is breathable and has cooling effects, preventing the mattress from retaining heat.
Less than 10% of users report sleeping hot, which is similar to the rate of their average competitor.
Strong odors are reported within the first week of owning the Casper mattress, especially when lying down on the mattress.
If you’re experiencing any kind of odors, especially if you’re sensitive to smells, allow the mattress to sit undisturbed for two or three days without a cover. This will help the smell to naturally dissipate into the air.
Throughout many review sites, includingand Consumer Reports, Casper’s customer services has been well rated for answering questions honestly and clearly. Casper has an A+ rating with the BBB.
Sleep comfort is so subjective, and it’s hard to know if you will love a mattress until you really get to spend some time in it.
Casper offers a 100-night sleep trial with a full refund if you are unhappy with the mattress for any reason. With no shipping, restocking fees, or hidden expenses, you really don’t have anything to lose!
Any rejected mattresses are either recycled according to local regulations or donated to charity. No preparation is required to return the mattress is a courier is available in your area.
It is worth noting that the mattress can be purchased from Amazon Prime, however the trial is 30 days and you have to return the mattress yourself to.
Casper offers a standard 10 year warranty on their mattress. The mattress is required to be used on a firm, solid-surface base bed that is structurally capable of supporting the weight of the mattress and its users.
The warranty covers indentations greater than 1-inch, and physical flaws that cause the foam materials to split or crack under normal usage and proper handling.
The warranty is void if there is any evidence of burns, cuts, tears, liquid damage, or stains, so it is important to keep the Casper mattress covered at all times.
While you are not responsible for any shipping costs to send the mattress back to Casper, you are responsible for shipping on the replaced or repaired mattress.
Casper uses materials made in Belgium, Mexico, USA. Their foams are CertiPUR-US certified to be made without ozone depleters, PDBE, TDCCP, TCEP flame retardants, mercury, lead, other heavy metals, formaldehyde, and VOC (volatile organic compound) emissions less than 0.5 parts per million.
Price - Check Current Price Here
The Casper mattress falls in line with other online mattress retailers. By offering free shipping, the Casper mattress comes in at an affordable value that is competitive with other brands.
While their price is much less than the average retail mattress, they are priced higher to other online retailers selling 10-inch thick, 3-inch comfort layer mattresses.
Casper’s products have great reviews and they have won a number of awards over the years, including Time Magazine’s Best Inventions of 2015. They led the charge on online-retailer mattress companies and have paved the way for newer mattress companies, like Purple and Loom and Leaf.
While there are less expensive options on the market we still believe that Casper offers a mattress that will provide a great sleep experience to it's customers.
Casper Memory Foam Mattress
- Overall Quality
- Side Sleepers
- Back Sleepers
- Stomach Sleepers
- Eco Friendliness
- Value for Money