There are plenty of reliable, comfortable, and long-lasting options out there for under $1000. But knowing that you have options is only the first step.
Once you’ve decided on your price point, there are endless mattresses to sift through. And, since you’re working with a limited budget, the question of quality comes into play. This article will help cut out some of the work for you. We’ve researched some of the best and brightest options on the mattress market to make your job easier. Whether you prefer an innerspring mattress, memory foam, or a mattress you can flip for different firmness levels, this article will cover the top options.
QUICK LINKS: 5 Top Best Mattresses Under 1000
- Best Hybrid Mattress Under 1000: Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress
- Best Memory Foam Option: The Nectar Mattress
- Best Double-Sided Choice: The Layla Mattress
- Best Innerspring Choice: The Saatva Innerspring Mattress
- Best For Light Sleepers: The Ultimate Dreams Supreme Foam Mattress
#1 Best Hybrid Mattress Under 1000: Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Year-long trial period
- Good edge support
- Minimal sinkage
- Breathable cover
- Has nice bounce
The Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress is a bed-in-a-box that works with many types of adjustable bases, platforms, and frames. You can opt for White Glove Delivery service (for an extra charge) if you need help with installation or removing your old mattress. Though it comes in two options, Medium Soft and Medium Firm, we’ll be describing the Medium Firm option in this article, since it’s the more popular pick.
You Might Want To Pick The Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress If:
- You don’t want to choose between springs or foam: Memory foam is super comfortable and great for pressure relief, but coils add a bounciness that’s hard to find in an all-foam mattress. If you want the best of both worlds, the Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress could be a good match for you.
- You value temperature regulation in a mattress: The Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress uses Black Diamond Phase Change technology. This unique feature keeps heat close to your body when it begins to cool and away from it when you get hot.
- You move around in your sleep: The coils in this mattress provides a nice, bouncy feel. This makes it easier to reposition yourself at night and also prevents you from sinking in too far.
- You sleep on your stomach: Stomach sleepers need a bed that keeps their pelvic region properly supported to prevent hip pain and also aligns the spine. The Medium Firm Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress does well with this.
We chose the Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress as the best hybrid option because although it uses coils, they are individually pocketed. We will go over why this is beneficial a little later. For now, let’s look a little closer at the materials used in the mattress construction.
The cover of the Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress is fully removable and made from a stretchy, polyester-nylon. This thin material makes it soft, smooth, and breathable. The top layer is cooling memory foam, which helps evenly distribute your weight while you sleep.
Next, there’s a layer of foam for extra pressure relief and heat reduction, followed by a transition layer made of foam. Below that are high-carbon steel coils for support and bounce and two more layers of foam for support and airflow.
The mattress gives a cradling feeling but is firm enough to prevent you from sinking in too deeply. Its surface feels cool and soft to the touch. Memory foam is slow-responding and provides amazing pressure relief.
People who sleep next to a partner who moves around a lot will benefit from memory foam, as it absorbs disturbances better than other mattress materials. This particular mattress isolates motion well compared to other hybrid beds. Again, the coils are pocketed, meaning they won’t disturb the coils next to them when they move.
The Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress is CertiPUR-US®-Certified, which ensures it has safe or non-existent levels of heavy metals, ozone depleters, or other harmful emissions.
It comes with a sleep trial period of an entire year, and a 10-year warranty. All in all, the Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress is a good choice if you don’t know whether you prefer coils or memory foam, as it has both.
#2 Best Memory Foam Option: The Nectar Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Uses gel for temperature regulation
- Has minimal motion transfer
- Provides pressure relief
- Eco-friendly cover
- Long sleep trial period
The Nectar Mattress is not only affordable but it allows you to sink in comfortably without feeling trapped. If you move around a lot in your sleep, this is important. Note that there is a noticeable “new mattress smell” when you first unwrap it, but this should fade after a couple days.
You Might Want To Pick The Nectar Mattress If:
- You like being cradled by your mattress: Memory foam feels like melting gently into your bed and being cradled. If you enjoy this feeling, it could be a good choice for you.
- You usually sleep on your side: The Nectar Mattress contours to your body’s curves, reducing pressure. If you tend to sleep on your side, this should create relief for your hips and shoulders, which take on most of your body’s weight in that sleeping position.
- You want memory foam without heat retention: It’s no secret that memory foam tends to absorb and retain heat more than other mattress surface materials. But this option is surprisingly breathable.
- You don’t want a bouncy mattress: Most memory beds don’t have a very bouncy surface and the Nectar Mattress is no exception. The foam responds slowly to your body pressure.
The Nectar Mattress is our best memory foam option because it provides support and comfort, but it also has a breathable surface. The top layer of the mattress is made with a gel memory foam, which contours to your shape without retaining heat. The next layer is a bit firmer for more support and it provides a transition to the mattress base. The base of the mattress is a 5.5-inch dense foam, for durability and sturdiness.
The Nectar Mattress has a soft, plush cover that contains another layer of memory foam, for added pressure relief and comfort. As you lie down on the mattress, your body will sink into the top layer, which hugs your body. The bottom layers are quite a bit firmer, to create support for your body. Even your body’s lighter parts will sink in, creating a nice hug from the mattress.
Memory foam is great at absorbing motion, so there is minimal disturbance when changing positions or getting in and out of bed. This is a good feature for couples who sleep together.
The Nectar Mattress cover is made from Tencel, an eco-friendly material that helps with temperature regulation. The cover fabric has been rigorously checked for harmful chemical levels, to ensure safety and environmental sustainability.
Nectar Sleep offers a sleep trial period of 365 nights, risk-free. This means if you aren’t satisfied for any reason, you can get a full refund. It also comes with a Forever Warranty.
For the quality of materials used in this mattress, it has a very affordable price. And, with the full-year sleep trial period and Forever Warranty, you can buy it with peace of mind.
#3 Best Double-Sided Choice: The Layla Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Fully removable cover
- Special materials for cooling
- Pressure relief
- Antimicrobial top layer
- Lifetime warranty
This mattress has an all-foam construction made up of four layers. Its “flippable” design allows you to choose between two sleeping surfaces. Side sleepers will likely prefer the softer side of the mattress, while stomach sleepers will likely do better with the firm side.
You Might Want To Pick The Layla Mattress If:
- Your partner has a different sleep schedule than you: Light sleepers are often disturbed when their partner gets up in the night or morning. If you sleep next to someone and don’t want to disturb them or be disturbed, the Layla Mattress could be a good choice.
- You want two firmness levels: The Layla Mattress is double-sided with a Firm side and a Medium-Soft side. If you aren’t sure how firm of a mattress you need, this is a good way to give yourself more versatility.
- You suffer from back pain: The Medium-Soft side of this mattress is especially effective for pressure relief. It uses memory foam to cradle the heaviest points of your body for support and spinal alignment, which can help to reduce back pain.
- You tend to get hot in your sleep: The cover of the Layla Mattress uses ThermoGel® to reduce heat retention, while the top layer of the mattress has copper in it. These materials work together to cool your body as you sleep.
The Layla is our choice for the best double-sided mattress under $1000 as it lets you choose between a 4/10 firmness level and a 7/10 firmness level. Let’s look at the materials used in the construction, starting with the top layer of the Medium-Soft side of the mattress.
The Layla Mattress cover uses a polyester/viscose/lycra blend. The ThermoGel® infusion mentioned before is activated when you sweat and keeps you cool. The top layer of the mattress is made with a copper-infused foam, that contours to your body. Copper is antimicrobial and conducts heat efficiently, keeping the mattress germ-free and cool.
The next layer is egg-crate-shaped, promoting airflow and support. Next, there’s a thick layer of support foam that creates the foundation, followed by a 1-inch layer of copper-infused foam that makes up the top layer of the firm side. Each side of the Layla Mattress has a classic memory foam feel that supports the body and provides comfort.
Layla excels in the motion isolation category, like most other memory foam mattresses. Getting into and out of bed, or even tossing and turning at night, won’t create disturbances for your partner.
The materials used in the Layla Mattress are CertiPUR-US® Certified, indicating that they don’t have harmful levels of hazardous chemicals.
The Layla Mattress comes with a lifetime warranty that lasts for the lifetime of the mattress. People who purchase this product get a sleep trial period of 120 nights.
Double-sided mattresses aren’t that common to begin with, especially for less than $1000. The Layla Mattress provides this feature at an affordable price. If you tend to wake up achy when you sleep on firm surfaces, memory foam could be a good change for you.
#4 Best Innerspring Choice: The Saatva Innerspring Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Strong materials and stitching
- Extra support in the lumbar area
- Sturdy edges
- Has a soft pillow top
- Recycled coil materials
The Saatva Innerspring mattress suits a wide range of people and sleeping positions. It doesn’t come compressed in a box, so you’ll have to plan for Saatva’s delivery service if you go with this mattress. But some boxed models don’t have as much edge support as this mattress.
You Might Want To Pick The Saatva Mattress If:
- You sleep on your back or stomach: The Saatva mattress is great for back or stomach sleepers because of its unique lumbar region, which keeps the hips properly elevated. This section has memory foam for extra support.
- You enjoy the traditional mattress feel: While memory foam is the best feeling according to some, others prefer the classic coil feeling. The Saatva has more bounce than an all-foam mattress.
- You like a medium level of firmness: The Saatva mattress should be comfortable for most because it has a medium to medium-firm feel. This is comfortable and supportive no matter how you sleep, making it suitable for couples who sleep in different positions.
- Eco-friendliness matters to you: Saatva is committed to eco-friendliness in their business practices. Their sales model focuses on delivering directly to customers, to eliminate physical stores for a reduced carbon footprint.
We choose the Saatva mattress as our favorite innerspring option because it utilizes two layers of coils in its construction. This is supportive for the spine and also keeps you cooler since you’ll sleep more on top of the mattress than inside it.
The Saatva mattress uses hypoallergenic fibers and organic cotton for their plush, soft cover. The top layer has a 1.25-inch foam layer for pressure relief. The lumbar area of the mattress is reinforced with both memory foam and tighter stitching on the cover. This creates an extra supportive section for your hips, while providing cradling pressure relief.
Underneath the top layer is a foam transition layer, followed by the first coil layer, which is made up of 884 4-inch coils. Under this is another layer of 416 7-inch support coils. These prevent sagging, promote airflow, and give the mattress its bouncy feel.
When you push into the mattress with your hand, you’ll notice the plush feeling of the pillow top before you feel the supportive springs. The mattress responds quickly everywhere but the lumbar region, where the memory foam creates a slower response.
Since this is an innerspring mattress, the Saatva doesn’t isolate motion quite as well as memory foam. While Saatva does perform well compared with other coil-construction designs, you might want to choose another mattress if you sleep with a partner and one of you is a light sleeper.
Saatva uses an organic cover and recycled steel in their mattress, making it more environmentally friendly than other brands.
If you purchase the Saatva Innerspring mattress, you get a 15-year warranty and a 120-day sleep trial period. If you decide to return the mattress, a $99 transport fee will be removed from your refund.
#5 Best for Light Sleepers: The Ultimate Dreams Supreme Foam Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Free shipping
- Family-owned brand
- Balanced sinkage
- Very affordable
- Good for many sleep positions
You Might Want To Pick The Ultimate Dreams Mattress If:
- You sleep on your side: The Ultimate Dreams Supreme mattress is made from gel and foam instead of coils. These materials are beneficial for side sleepers, as they relieve pressure at the shoulders and hips.
- Price is one of your main concerns: The Ultimate Dreams Supreme mattress isn’t just less than $1000, but well under $1000. For a memory foam mattress, this is a great price.
- You tend to sleep cool: Although this mattress isn’t necessarily hot, it does have a lot of memory foam in it. So, if you aren’t a warm sleeper, this could be a good fit for your needs.
- You or your partner sleep light: Like other memory foam mattresses, this one excels in the motion isolation category. If you have trouble with innerspring mattresses or wake up easily, this could help you sleep deeper and wake up less often.
The Ultimate Dreams Supreme mattress is our best choice for light sleepers because it isn’t bouncy at all and is made with both foam and gel. This mattress should be used with a solid base, including a slatted bed, wood foundation, or platform.
The top layer of the Ultimate Dreams Supreme mattress is a gel memory foam, which is better at reducing heat retention than other types of foam. The next layer provides a transition and relieves pressure. Next is the supportive, 8-inch foam base.
This mattress is right in the middle of the road in terms of firmness. It has balanced levels of hug and sinkage and a slow response time, like most foam beds.
Due to the minimal bounce of this mattress, it does well with isolating motion and minimizing disturbance. If you or your partner tend to get up a lot in the night, this could be a welcome change since you won’t wake each other up as much. Great motion isolation is also a huge benefit for people with pets that love to jump on the bed in the middle of the night.
The Ultimate Dreams Supreme mattress is OEKO-TEX® certified, meaning it meets regulations for chemical standards.
The mattress has a sleep trial period of 120 nights and a 10-year limited warranty.
Compared to other similar mattresses, the Ultimate Dreams Supreme by Dreamfoam costs quite a bit less. It also has the benefit of free shipping. Due to its medium firmness level, it works with multiple sleeping positions. Whether you’re a side sleeper, back sleeper, stomach sleeper, or a combination, it should give you the support you need.