Not all mattresses are designed for bunk beds, so carefully choosing the right bunk bed mattress for your needs is important.Below, we’ve covered some of the bed mattresses on the market that are suitable for bunk beds and provide a great level of comfort for a good night’s sleep.
QUICK LINKS: 5 Top Bunk Bed Mattresses
- Best Value Bunk Bed Mattress: Zinus 6-inch Spring Twin Mattress
- Best Budget-Friendly Bunk Bed Mattress: Home Life Euro Top Harmony 8-inch Mattress
- Best Bunk Bed Mattress for Children: Silentnight Healthy Growth Comfort Mattress
- Best Eco-Friendly Bunk Bed Mattress: My Green Pure Echo Mattress
- Best Bunk Bed for Cooling: Tuft & Needle Mattress
1) Best Value Bunk Bed Mattress: Zinus 6-inch Spring Twin Mattress
Boasting iCoil technology and a quality dual-layered foam top, the Zinus 6-inch spring mattress is a great value for money bunk bed mattress, manufactured with quality materials to guarantee a restful night’s sleep. Providing great support for children and growing adults, this is an ideal choice for your bunk bed.
You Might Want To Pick The Zinus Mattress If:
- You’re looking for a foam mattress with great value: Made with a double layer of foam to provide a comfortable night’s sleep, the Zinus is a great option for a high-quality product made with luxury materials and is sold at a highly affordable price. With foam mattresses typically marketed in a higher price bracket, the combination of coils and foam in the Zinus makes this great value for money for the quality you’re getting.
- You are buying for a child or growing adult: This mattress features a quilted top with coils constructed by the Bonnell spring system and topped with layers of fiber padding and foam, making for a highly supportive mattress that is perfect for growing children or adults.
- You are looking for a long-warranty product: The Zinus comes with a 10-year warranty, so you know this great value for money mattress was built to last.
- You are a light sleeper: The Zinus mattress comes with iCoil technology, which effectively divides motion within the mattress, so you can sleep soundly no matter how much the person next to you moves around. If you’re a light sleeper or have a platform bed that you’ll be sharing, the Zinus could be a great option for reducing movement felt in the mattress.
The Zinus 6-inch spring mattress is constructed with steel coils which are individually wrapped, to provide strength and support. Traditional coils, in contrast, are typically woven together, which can cause dips within the mattress. The Zinus iCoil technology provides a far firmer feel, topped with double layered foam and fiber padding, for optimal comfort.
Therefore, this mattress has a very firm, supportive feel, perfect for growing children. With a soft, tightly-quilted top, the Zinus has a comfortable surface and provides a safe, solid mattress base, perfect for bunk beds.
Arguably one of the best features of the Zinus, the iCoil technology makes this mattress ideal for light sleepers. With very little motion transfer across the mattress, and the individually wrapped coils reducing the amount of sinkage within the structure, the Zinus makes for a comfortable night’s sleep when sharing.
To show you’re getting the best for your buck, the Zinus comes with a worry-free, 10-year warranty.
2) Best Budget-Friendly Bunk Bed Mattress: Home Life Euro Top Harmony 8-inch Mattress
For a budget-friendly bunk bed mattress that still offers optimal comfort, you can’t go wrong with the Home Life Euro Top Harmony mattress. 100% Greenguard certified and manufactured with pressure-relieving foam and high-quality steel coils, this mattress offers an extremely comfortable night’s sleep for a bargain.
You Might Want To Pick The Harmony Mattress If:
- You’re on a budget: The Home Life mattress is a budget-friendly mattress, but it remains a high-quality product made from premium materials, to provide a comfortable, firm feel, perfect for a bunk bed or trundle.
- You’re looking for a pressure-relieving mattress: The Home Life’s individually-encased steel coils are specifically designed to relieve pressure points on the neck, shoulders, back, and hips. If you suffer from tightness or tension in these areas and find your existing mattress doesn’t do enough to ease the tension, this mattress could be a great option for your bunk bed.
- You want a shorter mattress for safety: At just 8 inches, the Home Life mattress offers a comfortable feel without being so thick that safety becomes a concern in your bunk bed.
- You want a longer warranty: The Home Life Euro Top comes with a 20-year extended warranty, so you can buy this highly affordable product and still be rest assured that your investment is protected, should something go wrong.
The Home Life Harmony Sleep Mattress is designed specifically with comfort in mind and it is perfect for bunk beds and trundle beds. It consists of pressure-relieving foam, high-density foam, and pocket coil springs, that combine to provide a comfortable, firm feel.
It has multi-layered foam to relieve pressure, with independently pocketed pads for total body support. What’s more, the mattress consists of 480 independently-encased coils for optimal weight distribution, with a Euro Top for added comfort.
The Harmony Mattress has a medium, comfort-firm feel, providing the perfect balance of comfort and support for people with back issues and tension in their neck, shoulders, and hips. We love this feature particularly for bunk beds, as the elevated loft platform can sometimes mean that support is limited, especially for people for back issues, but this mattress levels that out.
The bed’s independently-encased coils help distribute weight and motion transfer across the mattress perfectly, avoiding sinkage or movement that could disturb your sleep during the night. Customers with back pain (or growing pains, if you’re shopping for a child or young adult) will be extremely pleased with the lack of motion transfer in this mattress.
What’s more, its support and fantastic weight distribution make it perfect for an elevated platform on a bunk bed. The Harmony Sleep is 100% Greenguard certified, making it an eco-friendly purchase.
No one likes the idea of sleeping on a mattress with toxic chemicals involved in its production, so buying a Greenguard certified mattress will just give you that added peace of mind. Despite its budget-friendly price tag, the Harmony Sleep still comes with a 20-year warranty.
Although Home Life doesn’t say anything specifically about a sleep trial period, this mattress is still amazing value for money and one of the highest-rated bunk bed mattresses, at an affordable price.
3) Best Bunk Bed Mattress for Children: Silentnight Healthy Growth Comfort Mattress
Designed specifically for children and young teens, the Silentnight is an ideal bunk bed mattress for your child’s room. With a natural, chemical-free cover, Miracoil spring technology, and EcoComfort fiber filling, this mattress is an obvious choice for a comfortable mattress that will support growing bodies.
You Might Want To Pick The Silentnight Mattress If:
- You’re buying for a child: The Silentnight is designed with a Miracoil spring system, which is designed to align a child’s spine as they grow. This bed’s main aim is to support the growth and development of children and young teens, as well as provide temperature regulation for a comfortable night’s sleep. If you’re buying a bunk bed mattress for your children, the Silentnight has all the features you want for them to be comfortable and supported.
- You want a hypoallergenic mattress: With a 100 percent natural Purotex cover, this mattress contains friendly bacteria to reduce mold, moisture, and dust mites. If an allergen-free mattress is a high priority for you, this one is a good choice.
- You get overly hot while sleeping: The Silentnight has a breathable airflow border and EcoComfort filling, both of which help to regulate temperature to keep you comfortable the whole night through. If you get too warm while sleeping, having a temperature regulating mattress is a good choice
The Silentnight Healthy Growth is constructed from breathable EcoComfort fiber filling, combined with a Miracoil spring system, to support growth and provide comfort as a child grows.
This is definitely the bed’s biggest selling point, with clever technology that means the mattress will align to your child’s spine as they grow, providing the support and space they need to help a child’s development and ensure they have a comfortable night’s sleep for years.
If you are buying your bunk bed mattress specifically for your child and their growth and comfort is a big concern, the Silentnight is clearly an excellent choice.It is a firm mattress, with a soft Purotex cover that helps reduce dust mites, allergens, and moisture within the mattress.
The knitted quilt top gives the mattress surface a much softer feel, designed for a supportive but comfortable sleep.
This mattress is also a great choice for hot sleepers, with a breathable airflow border and fiber filling that helps to regulate your temperature, as you sleep.
The firmness of the mattress combined with these features means hot sleepers will have a mattress that doesn’t hug them, helping to keep them cool at night.
This mattress doesn’t appear to have a sleep trial or warranty, but there’s no doubt that this mattress has some excellent features to support your child’s growth and provide them with a comfortable night’s sleep for many years.
4) Best Eco-Friendly Bunk Bed Mattress: My Green Pure Echo Mattress
Made from all-natural, GOTS certified materials, the Pure Echo is an obvious choice for an eco-friendly mattress that will reduce allergens. With a 100-day sleep trial and a coil system to provide additional support, this is an all-around great choice for a safe, natural bunk bed mattress.
You Might Want To Pick The Pure Echo Mattress If:
- You want a natural, chemical-free mattress: The My Green mattress is constructed with all-natural materials, free from toxic chemicals and polyurethane foams, and is GOTS certified, making it a perfect choice for shoppers wanting an all-natural mattress.
- You want a sleep trial with your purchase: This mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial, so you can test its comfort, suitability, and safety before deciding to stick with your purchase. Not all mattresses come with a sleep trial and a warranty, so this is a great feature if you’re not 100 percent sure what you’re looking for.
- You need a mattress that offers additional back support while sleeping: The Pure Echo has a pocketed innerspring system underneath a thick layer of organic cotton batting, which offers additional lumbar support and protection while sleeping. If you are buying a bunk bed mattress for yourself or your child and want a good level of support, you might like the Pure Echo.
The Pure Echo is constructed with a three-zone coil spring system that’s covered with organic cotton layers. The 9.75-inch mattress is safe for bunk beds and is made with all-natural materials, to make it an ideal choice for anyone suffering from allergies, or for parents concerned with the chemicals that may be in some mattresses.
The Pure Echo is described as medium-firm, providing great support for growing children and teens, as well as a great level of comfort, to make it suitable for people of all ages.
The coil spring system not only offers great lumbar support, but it also reduces motion transfer on the mattress, making this an ideal choice for light sleepers or if you’re sharing a bed. For those concerned with purchasing an eco-friendly mattress, the Pure Echo is the perfect choice.
The cover is made from all-natural Eco-wool, with GOTS certified organic cotton filling. The mattress’s wool is sourced exclusively from California and Oregon, contains no polyester fibers, and is washed only in a mild alcohol-based soap that is GOTS compliant.
What’s more, the mattress is made in the USA, making this product a perfect choice if you want a local, all-natural mattress with no toxic chemicals involved in the manufacturing process.
Another great feature of the Pure Echo is that it comes with a 100-day sleep trial period and a 10-year warranty, so you can rest assured that your investment is protected, should you decide the mattress isn’t the right fit for you.
Suitable for platform beds, the Pure Echo is a great overall choice for a safe, all-natural bunk bed mattress that will provide lasting support and comfort for people of all ages, and at an affordable price.
5) Best Bunk Bed For Cooling: Tuft & Needle Mattress
Do you tend to run hot? The Tuft & Needle mattress is ideal for bunk beds and has a 3-inch layer of adaptive foam, designed to absorb body heat and provide a comfortable sleeping surface. With a 100-night sleep trial and great reviews for being comfortable, bouncy, and supportive, the Tuft & Needle is another premium choice for your bunk bed.
You Might Want To Pick The Tuft & Needle Mattress If:
- You’re a hot sleeper: This foam twin mattress has a top 3-inch layer of polyurethane Adaptive Foam. The foam, infused with a cooling gel and graphite, absorbs your body heat to provide a comfortable sleeping surface that will keep you cool, all night long.
- You don’t like a super firm mattress: The Turf & Needle stands out for providing a firm and supportive surface, while still having some bounce, to provide a soft and comfortable surface that is easy to get in and out of. If you’d like to avoid a very firm mattress, this offers a good balance.
- You need support when sleeping: Suitable for children, teens, and adults, this foam mattress is perfect for sleepers of any size or weight. The more pressure you put on the foam, the more it reacts to support you, so this mattress is ideal if you’re buying a bunk bed mattress for a growing child, or for a full-grown adult!
- You want to test before you commit: With a 100-night sleep trial and 10-year warranty, this mattress provides a perfect opportunity to test the comfort level before you commit.
The Tuft & Needle mattress is constructed with a top 3-inch layer of polyurethane Adaptive Foam, consisting of two layers of CertiPUR-US foam. Not only is this foam infused with cooling gel and graphite to absorb your body heat, but it is also free from ozone depleters, heavy metals, and other chemicals, that could potentially be harmful to you.
Under the 3-inch top layer, the Tuft & Needle has a 7-inch higher density foam support layer to provide optimal comfort and support for the neck, shoulders, back, and hips.The mattress’s Adaptive Foam provides great support without too much sinkage, with the foam reacting to support as much weight is put on it – which should result in little motion transfer for a comfortable and undisturbed night’s sleep.
Described as ‘not too soft, not too hard’, this mattress strikes a great balance between firmness and bounce, providing a soft and comfortable mattress without the sinkage. If you like some support while sleeping without your mattress feeling too firm, this could be the right level of comfort for you.
Finally, with a 100-night sleep trial, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to test the mattress against your preferred level of firmness and comfort.
What’s more, the Tuft & Needle comes with a 10-year warranty, to show this mattress is made to last.Suitable for bunk beds and designed to provide a comfortable night’s sleep that will regulate your temperature and provide pressure relief for your neck, back, and hips, the Tuft & Needle is a great choice for your bunk bed mattress.