The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Pressure Relief Mattress is an affordable memory foam bed with a unique, scented design. The Casper mattress is an all-foam mattress with a zoned support system. They’re both all-foam mattresses but vary in terms of price, specific feel, and other factors. We’ll be breaking down the key differences between each bed, to give you an idea of which is best for you.
4 Reasons to Pick the Zinus or the Casper Mattress:
In a hurry? Then here’s a quick rundown of each bed.
Pick the Zinus Mattress If:
Last update on 2023-06-03 at 17:56 - More InfoProduct prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product." / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- You’re on a budget: The price of the Zinus mattress is one of its most obvious benefits. And considering how expensive memory foam beds once were, companies like Zinus have made them more accessible to the average sleeper. Whatever your budget, if you’re set on saving money when you buy your next bed, the Zinus Green Tea mattress may be a good option.
- You want a slow-responding bed: This mattress doesn’t have a bouncy feel to it, like some mattresses. While a more responsive surface is helpful for people who move around a lot in their sleep, others will prefer a cradling feel from their bed. If you want the feeling of slowly melting into your mattress, the Zinus Green Tea bed could suit you.
- You’re sensitive to off-gassing: Most memory foam mattresses come with an off-gassing odor. While, in most cases, you have to simply air out your bed and wait for the smell to fade, Zinus has come up with a creative solution. To offset the “new mattress smell,” the company have infused this mattress with a scented green tea extract so that it will be less noticeable.
- You share your bed with a partner: You can’t do better than memory foam when it comes to motion isolation. If you wake up easily in the night and share your bed with a partner, the Zinus Green Tea mattress may be the solution you’ve been seeking. The surface of the mattress isolates motion, so the vibrations don’t travel through the bed when you or your partner move.
Pick the Casper Mattress If:
Last update on 2023-06-12 at 12:59 - More InfoProduct prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product." / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- You suffer from back pain: The Casper mattress has a zoned support design. The mattress has softer foam in the shoulder area to cushion pressure points and there is firmer foam under the pelvic region to encourage neutral spinal alignment. This combination could potentially ease your back pain symptoms.
- You’re a combination sleeper: Foam beds aren’t always a good fit for combination sleepers since they can create sinkage and make it harder to switch positions. But if you want a foam bed and move around a lot in your sleep, the Casper mattress should be a good fit. It has a cushioning but responsive surface that won’t make you feel stuck in the bed.
- You want a medium-firm bed that’s on the firmer side: The Casper mattress is a medium-firm bed, meaning it’s suitable for a wide range of sleep positions and body types. But it leans more towards the firmer end of the spectrum, so make sure you appreciate that type of feel before you choose this bed. Also keep in mind that the heavier you are, the softer the bed will feel.
- You get hot in your sleep: Sleeping too hot is a common problem, especially with foam beds. While air can easily move through innerspring mattresses, foam tends to collect more heat, which can lead to night sweats. The Casper mattress uses a proprietary, breathable foam to keep sleepers cool. And since you sleep more on top of this bed than in it, more of your body is exposed to the open air, which reduces heat buildup.
The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress comes in a range of thickness options, from 6 to 12 inches. All models have a knitted jacquard cover.
The 6-inch model is the firmest option and uses a single, 1-inch layer of memory foam, followed by a dense, 4-inch foam base.
The 8-inch version of this bed is medium-firm and has a 2-inch memory foam top layer, followed by a 2-inch layer of pressure-relieving foam, and a 4-inch dense foam base.
The 10-inch version has a 2.5-inch top layer of foam, followed by 2 inches of pressure-relieving foam, and a 5.5-inch base.
The 12-inch version has 3 inches of memory foam on top, 2 inches of pressure-relieving foam, and an additional 3.5-inch layer of dense foam, followed by a 3.5-inch base. The beds increase in softness as they increase in thickness.
All versions of the Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress contain foam with an infusion of green tea extract for an antibacterial effect. The infusion helps protect the bed from harmful bacteria and, as mentioned, offsets any potential off-gassing odor. While there are other budget memory foam mattresses out there, this unique feature sets the Zinus Green Tea bed apart.
The Casper mattress uses 4 layers in its construction. The cover is made with a soft polyester-blend fabric for a comfortable feel. It zips off, which makes it much more convenient to wash, although you shouldn’t machine wash it.
Under the cover is a 1.5-inch layer of proprietary latex foam with a breathable design and responsive feel to help you sleep cool. This layer gives the bed a springy surface, so you’ll never feel stuck in the bed. Next is a 1.5-inch layer of memory foam for pressure relief.
The third layer of the Casper mattress is also 1.5 inches thick. This section of the bed is zoned – with a firmer area under the hips and a softer area under the shoulder region to provide targeted support. The base is made with a dense polyfoam that gives the bed its shape and durability.
Firmness and Support
The firmness of the Zinus Green Tea mattress depends on which model you select (the thinner the model, the firmer it is). But we believe the 10-inch version will be suitable for most people, so we’ll focus on that model in this section.
The 10-inch Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress is about a 6 out of 10 when it comes to firmness. The top layer provides pressure relief, while the second layer promotes spinal alignment and supports your body. The bed doesn’t have a bouncy feel at all and should appeal more to people seeking a “deep hug” from their mattress.
The Casper mattress is a 7 out of 10 firmness, which makes it a good pick for all sleep positions. Couples will also likely appreciate this firmness rating since it’s suitable for the widest range of body types. The bed has an average amount of bounce for a foam mattress, due to the latex foam in the top layer.
The zoned support layer helps to evenly distribute your weight across the bed, promoting a neutral spine.
Note that the Casper mattress won’t be as bouncy as an innerspring bed, but that it is springier than the average all-foam mattress. The Casper mattress is the firmer bed of the two.
Motion Transfer and Sinkage
Motion isolation refers to how well a bed absorbs vibration and prevents it from traveling across the bed. It’s a crucial feature for couples since a bed without good motion isolation will cause each partner to wake up when the other moves in their sleep.
The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress has a classic memory foam feel with cradling sinkage. This is the best type of mattress for motion isolation as the viscoelastic nature of the foam absorbs vibrations. If you or your partner wake up easily, switching to a memory foam mattress may be helpful for you.
The Zinus Green Tea mattress creates a deep cradling hug when you lie on it and doesn’t have a responsive or bouncy feel. You’ll sink into this bed, rather than sleeping on top of it, which can relieve pressure and potentially help with back pain.
The Zinus Green Tea mattress definitely has more sinkage than the Casper mattress.
The Casper mattress is another good option for couples. It has a thick foam foundation to help absorb motion and the foam in the top layers also isolates vibrations in the bed. Since the Casper mattress does have a more responsive feel than the average memory foam bed, it won’t do quite as well as the Zinus mattress in terms of motion isolation. However, customers still report that it’s good at minimizing motion transfer.
The Casper mattress has less sinkage than other foam beds due to the latex-like foam material in its top layer. The bed has an average amount of bounce, which makes it easy to switch positions on. While you’ll sink into the bed a bit, you’ll sleep on top of the mattress instead of in it.
The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Pressure Relief Mattress uses a convoluted foam base to promote airflow and prevent heat from building up in the bed. The knitted cover is breathable, allowing more air to reach your body while you rest.
Note that a mattress that creates sinkage, like the Zinus Green Tea mattress, will retain some heat since less of your body is exposed to the air. Some users have reported sleeping hot with this mattress, though it’s not a very common complaint.
The Casper mattress has several cooling features, including an open-cell structure in the top layer of foam, which allows air to move more freely through the bed. Since the mattress doesn’t create much sinkage, heat retention isn’t as much of a concern with the Casper mattress and customers report sleeping cool with it.
If sleep temperature is a major concern for you and you tend to get hot at night, the Casper mattress is likelier to sleep cooler than the Green Tea mattress.
Sleep Position and Body Type
The 10-inch Zinus Green Tea mattress is meant to be comfortable for people in all sleep positions. The bed is firm enough to keep the hips aligned in the back and stomach sleeping position, although back or stomach sleepers who are overweight might prefer a firmer Zinus model, such as the 8 or 6-inch version.
Side sleepers should feel comfortably aligned with this bed, although lightweight side sleepers might experience too much pressure on their hips and shoulders. If you weigh below average and sleep exclusively on your side, consider the 12-inch model of the Zinus Green Tea mattress.
Keep in mind that combination sleepers may find it hard to move around due to the sinkage in this bed. While comfort is relative to preference, body type, and sleep position, the 10-inch version is the safest bet for the widest variety of sleepers.
The Casper mattress is a good fit for stomach and back sleepers as it’s firmer than average, which helps keep the pelvis aligned with the spine. The firmer section under the hips is especially beneficial for stomach sleepers as it prevents their pelvis from sinking in too far.
Side sleepers should find that the memory foam in the second layer of this mattress contours nicely to their body and cushions the hips and shoulders. If you weigh below average, the mattress may feel a bit too firm, which can be fixed by adding a mattress topper. Overall, though, the Casper mattress is a versatile bed that should suit a wide range of body weights and sleep positions.
Sleep Trial and Warranty
The Zinus Green Tea mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty that protects against mattress defects. The Casper mattress also comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty. As you can see, these mattresses are evenly matched in this category.
The Zinus mattress is a budget-friendly pick that is less than half the cost of the Casper mattress. It’s a good option for people who want a cradling hug from their mattress and aren’t looking for a bouncy bed. Some users report that the mattress sleeps warm, so if you’re a hot sleeper, keep that in mind. Customers say that the Zinus mattress is excellent at isolating motion, which is good news for couples.
The Casper mattress is also affordable, though it costs more than the Zinus mattress. It’s a better pick for people who move around a lot in their sleep and don’t want to feel stuck in their bed, but who still want a little sinkage for pressure relief. Users report a cool sleep experience on this mattress, along with a comfortable sleep experience from the zoned support system. Overall, we like the Casper mattress better.