Mattresses, particularly memory foam products, are not small investments. These mattresses range in price, with high-end products costing more than $4,000 for a king or queen size item.
Features such as several layers of specialized foam, temperature regulation, pressure relief and motion isolation all contribute to the steep price tag.
However, paying more for a memory foam mattress does not mean a high-quality mattress and Zinus is proof of that.
The ZINUS Mattress
The Zinus mattress is a medium-firm mattress that is slightly on the firmer side. If sleeping with a partner, you’ll rarely feel any movement as the motion isolation is excellent and the four layers of foam provide comfort and stability that you desperately need in a mattress.
While many memory foam mattress cause you to wake up hot and sweaty after a long night, the Zinus features foam with airflow capabilities to help regulate temperature and keep you cool, even on those long hot nights.
There is no off-gassing or awful chemical and dingy smells as this product is infused with a green tea extract that keeps the mattress fresh and provides anti-fungal and anti-oxide properties.
While this mattress doesn’t offer a long trial period, the price tag is what draws you in.
Mattresses from this company are several hundred dollars less than your average memory foam mattress, making Zinus a strong option for individuals who want restful nights but don’t want to drain their savings to pay for it.
You Might Want To Pick The ZINUS Mattress If:
- You Want a Mattress that is Inexpensive: The price tag for the Zinus is considerably lower than similar memory foam mattresses. The low costs are available for products ranging in size from a twin bed to a California King.
- You Are a Back or Stomach Sleeper: While the Zinus mattress is a medium-firm mattress, many users report it is more firm than soft, which is ideal for stomach and back sleepers. Although, the mattress still provides plenty of cushion to adapt to all sleeping positions, and it helps relieve pressure on your weaker joints.
- You Want to Stay Cool Throughout the Night: Keeping you cool and enhancing airflow while you sleep are highlights of this mattress. To keep air continually circulating around your body, the Zinus features a base layer and a 3.5-inch top layer made from airflow high-density foam. Additionally, a jacquard knitted cover keeps your body cool and doesn’t retain excess heat.
- You Hate the Chemical Smell of Many Memory Foam Mattresses: After unboxing many memory foam mattresses, the chemical smell can linger in your home for days or weeks. The green tea extract infused throughout the mattress removes poor odors and keeps your mattress smelling fresh, even after extended use.
The Zinus mattress is worth considering if you are looking for a bargain memory foam mattress. While this product doesn’t offer the bounce and trial period that you may find in similar products, it is a firm mattress with excellent construction and an even better price tag.
Firmness & Support – A Medium-Firm Mattress That Is Slightly More Firm
This medium-firm mattress is not too soft or too hard, but many users report it falls slightly to the firmer side of the spectrum.
Additionally, most owners state that even though the mattress is more firm, there is still plenty of cushioning to keep you comfortable all night long. If you need to soften the mattress, you can add a plush mattress cover, which can greatly enhance your sleep.
However, this will cost you more money and is not included with the mattress.Because the mattress is firm, it prevents your lower back from collapsing, keeps your spine straight and helps blood flow more freely through your body.
This is made possible with help from the Zinus’s 3.5-inch foam base. This large base layer keeps the bed stable and should prevent a sagging mattress.
Construction – Four Layers Create Comfort, Pressure Relief And Support
The Zinus mattress is an excellent option if you want comfort, support and cool nights. While some heavier owners of this mattress found it provided plenty of comfort and support, others found this mattress to be too soft or just average.
The Zinus is ideal for the average and lightweight sleeper. This mattress conforms to your body and offers the pressure relief and support you need throughout the entire night, due to its four-layer construction.
To stabilize and enhance your body’s support, as well as circulate air and prevent excess sweat from waking you up, the bottom layer is comprised of 3.5 inches of airflow high-density support foam. To ensure you wake up feeling rested and rejuvenated, the Zinus is designed with pressure-relieving support.
Not only does this mattress feature a foam layer of comfort foam to provide plenty of cushioning. The top layer of the Zinus is comprised of 3 inches of memory foam, which conforms to your body.
This cradling relieves pressure placed on your weak joints, aligns your spine throughout the night, and supports and cushions your body.If you or your partner are a larger individual, a thicker mattress is ideal as it provides the deep support you need for the additional weight.
Unfortunately, the 12-inch Zinus mattress is just average for larger individuals and they don’t enjoy the comfort and support that lighter and average users do.
Temperature Regulation & Motion Isolation – The Zinus Helps You Avoid Sweltering Nights
You don’t have to worry about being embraced with heat and excess moisture with the Zinus. A thick 3.5-inch layer of airflow high-density foam and a 3.5-inch support base prevents hot air from being trapped around your body, disrupting your sleep and keeping you awake all night.
Several users of the Zinus mattress, who have used other brand memory foam mattresses in the past, report the Zinus keeps them the coolest when compared to other products, and they encounter less sweltering nights.
To ensure you don’t lose sleep due to excess heat, the Zinus mattress features a jacquard knitted cover that keeps your body cool and doesn’t retain the heat that other mattress covers may. The combination of the mattress cover and the two layers of airflow high-density foam all combine to ensure cool nights, regardless of your environment.
Furthermore, if you sleep with a partner who keeps you up at night due to constant wiggling and movement, this mattress may be what you are looking for. The Zinus isolates motion well, allowing multiple individuals to sleep on the bed without causing too much disruption to the other individual.
One reviewer placed a bowling ball on the bed and bounced another bowling ball next to it. The original bowling ball hardly moved due to the stable environment of this mattress.
Responsiveness – The Zinus Lacks A Fast Response
Unfortunately, one of the biggest complaints customers have with the Zinus Mattress is its ability to bounce back after use. A strong memory foam mattress should respond and move back to its original shape quickly after the weight is removed.
In addition, many customers say that after an extended period of use, the middle of the mattress began to sag several inches when compared to the edges of the mattress, which is a sign of poor quality materials. After some use on any memory foam mattress, body indentations may start to appear but should not be deep.
Fortunately, if your mattress has permanent indentations greater than 1.5-inches deep, it is covered under the product’s 10-year warranty and you can receive a new mattress free of charge as long as you have the original purchasing information.
Eco-Friendliness & Smell – Green Tea Extracts Keep Poor Odors Away
While the Zinus Mattress is not a complete plant-based memory foam mattress, it features BioFoam. This is a natural plant oil that replaces some of the traditional petroleum that you will find in many mattresses.
Furthermore, you don’t have to worry that this mattress contains heavy metals, ozone depleters and other harmful chemicals as this mattress is CertiPUR-US® Certified. After unboxing a memory foam mattresses, it may contain a distinct chemical-like smell that can last for several days or weeks.
With the Zinus Mattress, you don’t have to worry about off-gassing. This mattress is infused with a green tea extract that keeps the mattress free from chemical-like smells and ensures it remains smelling fresh over time.
Additionally, the green tea extract provides anti-oxide and anti-fungal properties, which provide an even safer sleeping environment. Many customers report they never encountered any smell, or had a very minimal smell, that went away quickly after unboxing and expanding this product.
Price – A Great Price For A Memory Foam Mattress
This mattress is considerably cheaper than many similar memory foam products, which is what attracted many customers to it.
You can purchase this product for several hundred dollars cheaper than other memory foam products on the market.Additionally, if you are not satisfied with the Zinus mattress within 30 days of purchasing, you can return it for a full refund, free of charge.
While the price and the full refund are excellent, the 30-day trial period is disappointing. Many comparable memory foam mattresses allow you to try the product for up to 100-days and return it for a full refund. Thirty days can be a tight test period before you see the full benefits of the product.
Shipping And Unboxing – Once In The Door, The Zinus Is Simple To Prepare
Receiving this mattress and getting it ready for a full night’s sleep is extremely simple. The Zinus mattress arrives at your door in a large box. You simply take the box into the bedroom it will reside in, open the box, and remove the mattress and a clear wrapper that is covering the mattress.
The mattress should start to expand immediately.
Although, you will need to wait some time before jumping on the bed and sleeping. Many reviewers reported waiting at least 24 hours before the mattress was ready to sleep on even though by six hours, they could lay on it and experience plenty of comfort.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does this mattress come with free shipping?
Yes, you should always receive free shipping from Zinus.
Will this mattress support heavy individuals?
The Zinus mattress comes in varying thickness and each option can support varying weight limits. For example, the 12-inch mattress, the thickest option available, can support up to 550 pounds of combined weight. Whereas, the 10-inch mattress can support 500 pounds of combined weight.
What type of bed frame do I need with this mattress?
You can use any bed frame with the Zinus mattress if it provides a flat and secure foundation.
Do I need to use a mattress pad with this product?
An additional mattress pad is not needed with the Zinus. Although, the additional protection provided by the mattress pad can increase the longevity of the mattress.
Last update on 2018-11-30 at 08:25 - More InfoProduct prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product." / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Overall, the Zinus mattress is an excellent option if you are trying to keep costs low and stay within a strict budget. It provides many of the features you will find in more expensive products such as a firmer feel, air circulation and excellent motion isolation.
There are drawbacks to this product including it has minimal bounce and its trial period is extremely short. If you want to test the product fully, you will need to plan accordingly and spend several consecutive nights in this bed during this short time frame.
However, for the low cost, the support, comfort and coolness it provides, the Zinus mattress is worth trying out.
What To Look For In An Inexpensive Memory Foam Mattress
This short guide will help you ask the right questions when it comes to buying the perfect mattress for your needs.
- Firmness & Support: Look for a mattress that provides plenty of support, particularly for your favorite sleeping position. Back and stomach sleepers should consider a firmer mattress, which provides enough support for the back and helps eliminate lower back pain. Side sleepers will benefit from a softer product as it allows the body to sink into the mattress, and it provides more support for the body’s natural curve.
- Materials & Construction: A thick base is important to provide the stability and support your mattress needs and the top layers should offer features such as temperature regulation, pressure relief and comfort.
- Temperature Regulation: Consider mattresses that feature breathable layers and allow air to circulate around your body. Memory foam mattresses without this capability become hot and stuffy as the night goes on. Mattresses with breathable layers allow the hot air to travel away from your body and keep you cool. Also, look for memory foam mattress with temperature-regulated covers that wick away excess moisture and enhance air circulation.
- Motion Isolation: If you sleep with another individual each night, motion isolation is critical to receiving restful sleep. Throughout the night, you should not feel any — or a very minimal amount — of movement from your partner with the best memory foam mattresses.
- Responsiveness: The best memory foam mattresses should bounce back to its original shape shortly after hopping off the bed. You should feel little sagging and there should be no body indentations several minutes after being on the bed. A thick base layer on the mattress will help prevent sagging from underneath the mattress. If deep indentations — usually a minimum of 1.5-inches deep — are a problem on the mattress, many companies may issue you a refund or provide a new mattress under its warranty policy.
- Eco-Friendliness & Smell: Look for mattresses that are environmentally friendly and are certified, such as CertiPUR-US® certified. Many memory foam mattresses contain harmful chemicals and other materials that can negatively affect your health. These certifications prove the mattress meets all health and safety standards. Furthermore, look for products with no off-gassing and smell fresh, even after months, or years, of use.
- Trial Period: Consider products from companies that offer long trial periods and full refunds. The best companies will allow you to test the mattress up to 90-days and if not completely satisfied, will provide you with a full refund.