Our top pick for the best bed for acid reflux is the WinkBeds Luxury Firm hybrid because it provides contouring support and comes with an optional adjustable base for cooling customization. The runner-up choice is the Bear mattress, an all-foam design that works well for the side sleeping position, which is helpful for acid reflux.
The best bed for acid reflux will keep your spine supported and aligned with at least a medium level of firmness. Apart from this, the ideal bed for acid reflux will work with an adjustable base, to allow you to elevate the head of the bed and keep stomach acid out of the esophagus. With that in mind, each of the beds in this article work with adjustable bases.
A good mattress can make for a good sleep and being well-rested can make any difficult health condition easier to deal with. So, we’ve chosen some of the best options available on the market right now to help improve your sleep.
QUICK LINKS: 5 Top Best Mattresses for Acid Reflux
- Best For Back Sleepers: The Tomorrow Hybrid Medium Firm Mattress
- Best For Use With An Adjustable Base: The Bear Mattress
- Best For Side Sleepers: The Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Medium Mattress
- Best For Hot Sleepers: The DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress
- Best For Combination Sleepers: The WinkBeds Luxury Firm Mattress
#1 Best for Back Sleepers- The Tomorrow Hybrid Medium Firm Mattress
Last update on 2019-10-30 at 12:25 - More InfoProduct prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product." / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Why We Like It:
- Supportive for the pelvis
- Uses cooling gel
- Removable cover
- Year-long sleep trial
- Setup help available
The Tomorrow Hybrid mattress is a supportive, cooling bed that uses both foam and coils in its construction. We chose it as our best option for back sleepers with acid reflux because it keeps the pelvis properly supported, which is important in that position.
You Might Want To Pick The Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress If:
- You could use some pressure relief: Since the Tomorrow Hybrid mattress uses memory foam in its construction, it provides cradling pressure relief. This is a good option for people who like that feeling but want the firmer support offered by springs.
- You’re a hot sleeper: Having acid reflux can already make it challenging to sleep through the night, so a cool bed is a must. The Tomorrow Hybrid uses phase-changing gel to keep your body temperature at a comfortable level.
- You like the feeling of bouncy support: Again, this bed uses coils in its construction, so it has a bit of a bounce to it. If you enjoy this feeling, the Tomorrow Hybrid could be a good mattress for you.
- You want two options to choose from: This bed comes in two options: Soft and Medium Firm, but people with acid reflux will do better with the firmer option, as your condition will benefit from proper spinal alignment.
The Tomorrow Hybrid mattress cover is breathable, thin, and comes off for easy washing. Under the cover is soft, cradling memory foam, followed by another foam layer for extra pressure relief. Next is a foam transition layer, then a bed of coils for bouncy support and airflow for cooling.
The mattress surface creates a slight sinking feeling to ease your joints, though the overall feel is fairly firm. Given the memory foam surface layer and pocketed coils in this bed, it’s decent at absorbing motion, so you shouldn’t be too disturbed by your pet or partner.
The Tomorrow Hybrid mattress is CertiPUR-US® certified, meaning it was tested for harmful levels of toxic chemicals. If you buy this bed, you’ll get a 365-day sleep trial period and a 10-year warranty.
If you want the benefits of memory foam but don’t want to say goodbye to that classic innerspring feel, the Tomorrow Hybrid could be a good middle ground for you.
Just remember to do your research when it comes to choosing the best sleep position for your condition. While sleeping on your back is not the most ideal sleep position for acid reflux, it can work if you use an adjustable base or a wedge pillow to keep your torso elevated.
#2 Best for Use with an Adjustable Base- The Bear Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Works for every sleep position
- Supportive lumbar region
- Absorbs motion well
- Charitable benefits
- Uses cooling technology
The Bear mattress is a supportive all-foam bed that doesn’t use any coils in its construction, though it does still have a bit of bounce. We chose it as the best option for use with an adjustable base because it’s a flexible mattress that will conform easily to any position.
You Might Want To Pick The Bear Mattress If:
- You sleep on your side: The side sleeping position works well with the Bear mattress, as this position requires soft support for the shoulders and hips and the foam design of this bed provides that. Just remember that if you do sleep on your side, the left side may be better for acid reflux.
- You’re a combination sleeper: The Bear mattress supports a neutral spine position and also helps keep your lumbar region and neck in the proper position. If you move around in your sleep, you’ll appreciate the fact that this bed works comfortably for every position.
- You’re trying to improve your back pain: If you deal with pain or pressure in your back, an all-foam bed could be just what you need. The contouring foams in this mattress will pleasantly hug your body while also helping you feel aligned and supported.
- You enjoy helping charitable causes: It can be nice to support companies that give back to their community. If this is something you value, you’ll like the fact that Bear donates millions of dollars in sports equipment to kids in America.
The Bear mattress cover is made using Celiant, a patented cooling material that helps regulate body temperature. The top layer of the bed is the softest layer and uses a gel infusion to reduce heat retention and keep your body cool.
Under this layer is 1.5 inches of responsive foam that provides bounce and extra pressure relief. Next is another foam layer with a firmer feeling to support your body and keep your spine aligned and then the 5-inch dense foam base.
The Bear mattress is a bit above average in terms of firmness, which should make it great for people with acid reflux, regardless of weight and sleeping position. The foam layers used in this bed have a feel that is responsive overall, though the top layer does allow some sinkage.
Like other all-foam beds, the Bear mattress does great with motion isolation, which helps a lot with sleep quality for people with partners.
The bed has been CertiPUR-US® certified and found to be free from harmful levels of ozone depleters and heavy metals. It comes with a 100-night sleep trial period and a limited 10-year warranty.
All in all, the Bear mattress has the type of feel that should suit a wide variety of people. If you have acid reflux and need to use your bed with an adjustable base, this could be the bed you’ve been searching for.
#3 Best for Side Sleepers- The Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Medium Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Offers cradling support
- Comfortable, soft cover
- Motion isolating features
- Provides cooling airflow
- Has handles for easier moving
The Brooklyn Aurora mattress has coils for airflow and support but also uses foam to provide your body with pressure relief. We chose the medium version of this bed as the best option for side sleepers because it provides the proper spinal alignment needed for comfort in this position.
You Might Want To Pick The Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Mattress If:
- You want both foam and coils in your bed: The Brooklyn Aurora medium mattress is a hybrid, meaning it combines foam with an innerspring design. If you like a traditional coil feeling to your bed but you also like to slightly sink into your mattress, this should be a good option.
- You move around in your sleep: Some people just switch positions at night more than others. If this applies to you, a bouncy mattress like the Brooklyn Aurora should serve you well. The coils will allow you to flip over or move around without feeling stuck, due to the bounce they provide.
- You carry some extra weight: Hybrid beds might, generally speaking, be better for people who are overweight, as the firmness provided by the coils can prevent sagging in the middle. If you have a few extra pounds, the Brooklyn Aurora should keep you properly supported.
- You don’t want latex in your bed: Perhaps you don’t like the feel of latex or have a latex allergy. If you’d rather have a bed that doesn’t use latex, you’ll be glad to know that the Brooklyn Aurora mattress uses an alternative to this material called TitanFlex™.
If you’re a hot sleeper, the Brooklyn Aurora mattress should serve you well, as it was designed with specific cooling technology to fight this common issue. The surface of the bed uses a cooling infusion designed to pull heat away from you as you sleep.
The following layer is a responsive, copper gel-infused foam that helps regulate body temperature. Under this is a TitanFlex™ latex alternative that provides contouring, then a transition layer made of memory foam.
Next is the innerspring layer, which provides the bed with its shape, provides airflow for cooling, and gives your body stability. The last layer is a dense, durable foam base. This bed has a medium level of firmness and a responsive surface with a deep bounce.
Hybrid beds aren’t as good at all-foam beds when it comes to absorbing motion, although the memory foam used in the Brooklyn Aurora helps with this. For a bed with springs, it performs well with preventing disturbances.
The Brooklyn Aurora medium mattress was found to be free from dangerous materials, such as mercury or lead. It comes with a 10-year warranty and a 120-night sleep trial period.
All in all, the Brooklyn Aurora mattress should be a good choice for helping your acid reflux symptoms and comes with handles that make it easier to move after delivery. If you decide to use it with an adjustable base, Brooklyn Bedding provides a compatible electric option.
#4 Best for Hot Sleepers- The DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Provides lumbar support
- Unusually long trial period
- Cradling foam for alignment
- Soft, comfortable cashmere cover
- Comfortable in all sleep positions
The DreamCloud mattress is a luxurious hybrid bed that uses an impressive eight layers in its design. The natural latex surface gives sleepers a comfortable, cushioned surface, while the coils provide support and airflow. It’s our best choice for hot sleepers since it uses gel-infused memory foam for cooling.
You Might Want To Pick The DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress If:
- You need extra support in the lumbar region: Proper support in the lumbar area is important for alignment in the rest of your body. If you often deal with lower back tension or pain, the DreamCloud’s supportive coils and cradling foam should help with this issue.
- You want a responsive bed: If you like a quick-responding surface on your mattress, which makes it easier to move around without feeling stuck, you may like the DreamCloud hybrid. It uses both coils and a natural latex material to provide bounce.
- You move around in your sleep: Hybrid beds that use latex may be some of the best types of beds for people who tend to move around at night. This is because these materials create a bouncy mattress that allows for easy movement and won’t make you feel trapped.
- You share your bed with a partner: If you sleep with your partner every night, the DreamCloud mattress could be a good choice for you. Since it has a medium level of firmness, the bed works with every sleeping position and body weight. This should mean it’s comfortable for both of you, no matter how different you are.
The DreamCloud mattress has a soft, cashmere cover, followed by gel-infused memory foam for a cradling feeling. Next is a natural latex layer that responds quickly to movement, then a denser memory foam layer.
Under these layers is another memory foam layer for proper body alignment and lumbar support, a transition layer, then a bed of coils. Last is a dense foam that makes up the mattress foundation. The bed feels firm yet plush at the same time.
It is fairly decent at isolating motion since it has a pocketed coil system and plenty of foam in its design, so you and your partner shouldn’t disturb each other with your movements.
The bed is CertiPUR-US® certified and found to be free from harmful levels of dangerous chemicals, or metals. It has a lifetime warranty and 365-night sleep trial period.
Overall, the DreamCloud mattress should provide people with acid reflux with the support and alignment they need to face their condition. It has just the right amount of firmness to fit many preferences, so if you want a hybrid mattress, it could be a good choice for you.
#5 Best for Combination Sleepers- The WinkBeds Luxury Firm Mattress
Why We Like It:
- Cooling properties for airflow
- American-made mattress
- Pressure-relieving gel foam
- Works for all sleeping positions
- Bouncy surface makes repositioning easy
The WinkBeds mattress is another hybrid option with a responsive surface and supportive coil core. We chose it as the best option for combination sleepers because it doesn’t provide too much sinkage, which can make it hard to move around on your bed.
You Might Want To Pick The WinkBeds Luxury Firm Mattress If:
- You sleep on your back: A medium-firm mattress like the WinkBeds Luxury Firm is great for the back sleeping position because it supports neutral spinal alignment. Just remember that depending on your symptoms, you may want to elevate your torso or switch between sleeping on your back with sleeping on your side.
- You want cooling features in your bed: If you often wake up feeling hot and sweaty, you’ll like the fact that the WinkBeds Luxury Firm bed comes with a cooling gel foam layer. In addition, it won’t retain body heat too much due to its bouncy surface, which prevents too much sinkage.
- You want strong edges on your mattress: Strong, supportive edges can make it much easier to get out of bed in the morning and also make some sex positions easier. If you want sturdy edges on your bed, the WinkBeds Luxury Firm will provide this for you.
- You don’t want much sinkage in your bed: Although this mattress does use foam in its design, the surface responds quickly and doesn’t provide much sinkage. If you prefer this over a slow melting feeling, you should like the WinkBeds Luxury Firm mattress.
Below the top layer of responsive foam, there’s a 1-inch pressure-relieving gel foam layer that helps reduce heat retention. Under this are two separate layers of coils that provide alignment and airflow, making the bed great for people who sleep hot.
Last is a supportive foam base layer that gives the bed its overall shape. The Luxury Firm version of this bed is medium firm with a plush, soft top and a strong supportive core. It contours to your body and evenly distributes your weight across the mattress.
Although hybrids aren’t as good as memory foam beds at isolating motion, the WinkBeds Luxury Hybrid does well in this category for a mattress of its type. The cover uses a wood pulp textile that cools the body and gives this bed an eco-friendly advantage. The foams used in the bed are free from harmful amounts of heavy metals and other toxins.
The WinkBeds Luxury Firm mattress comes with a 101-night sleep trial period and a 10-year warranty. Out of all WinkBeds mattresses, the Luxury Firm option is the company’s best-selling model.
All in all, it’s a good choice for people who sleep hot and need firm support. If you want additional cooling in your mattress, you may also want to order the WinkBeds coolControl base.
What to Look for in the Best Bed for Acid Reflux:
Acid reflux symptoms not only make sleeping more difficult but can harm concentration, moods, and other areas of life. Getting a good bed for this condition is a step in the right direction for reducing your symptoms or, at least, making them more manageable. Here are some qualities to consider when you’re shopping for a bed for acid reflux:
Adjustable Base Compatibility: Since elevating your upper-body by at least six inches can help improve acid reflux symptoms, it’s best to invest in a bed that works with an adjustable base. Generally, it’s better to go for a mattress that’s no higher than 12 inches since thicker beds won’t be as flexible.
Mattress Firmness: Choosing the right level of firmness in a mattress is important for your condition. Mattresses that are either too soft or too firm can add to your discomfort by discouraging proper spine alignment, worsening symptoms. Generally speaking, a medium-firm bed will be your best bet.
Your Sleeping Position: Sleeping flat on your back is not advised when you have acid reflux because this position easily allows acid to travel up the esophagus, especially if you have some excess belly fat. However, sleeping on your left side can be beneficial.
Consider Using a Wedge Pillow: Stomach acid can flow more easily into your esophagus when you’re lying flat. A wedge pillow can help keep your torso elevated and prevent this. If you don’t have an adjustable base for your bed, this could be a viable alternative.